Thursday, October 21, 2010

Why Can't I Loose Weight ?



 Image Detail

So you’re cutting down on fat, controlling carbs and exercising religiously. So why aren’t you losing weight?

You’re no slacker when it comes to your health. You exercise, watch what you eat, use portion control, and can resist Ben & Jerry’s without a problem. Yet the scale needle still won’t budge.Why are you dieters destined to regain lost weight or never lose anything at all?  Here are some reasons I think your body isn’t behaving:

Physical Factors :

You don’t have enough muscle:

 The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, Sitting Still Got It ! Fat and muscle tissues consume calories all day long whether you’re running, reading or sleeping. No matter what you’re doing. Muscle rips through more calories than fat, OK. That's why men burn calories a lot faster than women; they have more muscle. You don’t have to get huge, but building and maintaining muscle week after week, year after year makes all the difference in the long run.

Genetics: 

Image DetailThe apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. If both parents are obese, you are much more likely to be obese. Researchers estimate that your genes account for at least 50%  and as much as 90%  of your stored body fat. You’re not doomed! Look at Jared form the Subway commercials! Your weight-loss challenge is just greater. Don't give up yet.

You’re getting older. 

A sluggish metabolism is a common aging problem. And we encourage it by sitting in traffic, long hours at the office and in front of computers. All this inactivity means we gradually lose muscle and increase body fat, resulting in a metabolic slump. But it’s not unbeatable. To survive in the days before there were supermarkets, your body evolved some complex starvation coping strategies. Now that food isn’t scarce, this can work against us.
.
You overestimate your calorie burn.
Gym machines are notorious for overestimating the calories burned by exercisers, (to make you feel good) and dieters can easily out-eat their workouts. Your 30-minute power walk might burn 200 calories, but that won’t make up for your after-exercise power smoothie.
  
* First, Workout on a regular schedule. Training should include the heart healthy calorie-burning workouts. Combining core, balance, pilates, plyometrics and streching.

* Remember the food you buy is what you have in your house and IS what you will eat.

* Make it a house rule to eat from a dish. Always. No eating out of  bags, cartons or fistfuls. Put it in a dish.


  Don't Diet ! 

 
Don't deprive yourself. If your list of can’t-have foods is so long, it rivals the nation’s tally of foreclosed homes, you are dieting! In fact, if  you’ve been so strict with yourself, you can’t remember the last time you ate a doughnut, candy bar or slice of pizza, you're dieting. See if this doesn't sound familiar, you were eating so great for a couple of months. Then, like so many times before, you  give in, scarf down something taboo, and now you’re mad at yourself. So what the heck, you think, you’ll just eat everything on your forbidden list to get it out of your system. You’ll start your diet over again tomorrow, or next week. Problem is, you can’t get it out of your system. It just doesn’t work that way.
One splurge meal in a restaurant can easily undo all the small calorie-saving tricks you employed the whole week before. Derail yourself every week and you’ll never get anywhere.


  No more setting yourself up for feeling deprived. In fact, no more dieting. Your going to take the focus away from that list of bad foods and emphasize on those foods that are good for you. If 90% of the time you eat a diet of  fruits, nuts and vegetables, some whole grains, lean meats or other sources of protein, then the other 10% doesn’t really matter. GOT IT !  Stop dieting and start making small changes you can live with. Losing even just a few pounds makes you healthier and less likely to develop diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and cancer. So guess what, you don’t have to be super slim to improve your health.

Consistency is key to dropping pounds. Researchers involved with the National Weight Control Registry found that those who eat similarly day after day are more likely to maintain weight loss than others. Also exercise is an important tool in controlling your weight and maintaining good health, but stop rewarding your good work with food. Find ways to celebrate that don’t involve high calorie eating (like a massage) or take half of that restaurant meal home and finish it tomorrow. Try this and I think  you'll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel... Good Luck




                        stock photo : A young woman flexes her arms while standing on a scale and smiling at the camera. Horizontal shot. Isolated on white.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment