Don't believe me? Check out your fluoride toothpaste. It reads and I quote, "If more than is used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away." This is the second of two articles on the dangers of fluoride. Last week we looked at water, this week it's toothpaste. In simple terms, fluoride is a by-product of aluminum, copper, and iron manufacturing. Fluoride is thought to be a contaminant. It is a chemical ion of the chemical fluorine, where fluoride has one extra electron to give it an extra charge. Since the 1800's, fluoride has been a key component in rat poison and insecticides. When mixed into grain or other food, rats will readily consume the poison and die. This method was deemed to be preferable to other poisonous compounds. The use of fluoride in rat poison has declined over the years, replaced by blood-thinning compounds that were deemed to be safer and more effective, like warfarin what they prescribe for you after a heart attack.
Most modern commercial dental care tooth-pastes these days contain one or more of these teeth and gum damaging ingredients, triclosan, fluoride, polyethylene glycols, or surfactants, foaming agents such as sodium lauryl sulfate, Also in your laundry soap. Also there's toxic metals, artificial sweetners, glycerin, hydrated silica and sodium hydroxide. Which begs the question, is toothpaste really necessary? Or is it that we've all been duped by a mass conspiracy involving Crest and Colgate, Aim, Pepsodent, the Tooth Fairy, and our parents? Well let me tell you this, toothpaste goes WAY back. In fact, Egyptians used toothpaste in 5000 BC, before the toothbrush was even invented. Early forms of the toothbrush have been in existence since 3000 BC. Ancient civilizations used a "chew stick," which was a thin twig that was chewed to a frayed end. Then it was dried in the sun until it was brush like. Even in ancient times, people were concerned with fresh breath, white teeth, and healthy gums. Archeologist think that ingredients like crushed bone, salt and herbal mint helped remove debris and leave a fresh smelling mouth. Modern toothpastes have continued along this path, exchanging bone for silica sand, and adding ingredients marketed "to help curb decay" and whiten teeth. The mass production of toothbrushes began in America around 1885. The toothbrush as we know it today was invented in 1938.
- Humectants: Moisturizing agents such as glycerine, sorbitol, and water.
- Abrasives: To remove stains and plaque, toothpastes contain gritty substances such as calcium phosphates, alumina, calcium carbonate, and silica.
- Fluoride: Assumed to remineralize tooth surfaces.
- Detergents: Many toothpastes contain detergents to create that foaming action.
- Flavoring Agents: Artificial peppermint, cinnamon, orange and even strawberry.
- Preservatives, Dyes, and Sweeteners: Used to coerce users into using their product, and extend shelf life.
At the end of the day, no matter what BS anyone including our own Government FDA says, Fluoride IS a toxic substance and several of the other additives in toothpaste have been linked with health problems also, and while fluoride may have a positive effect externally on teeth, ingesting any of it requires a call to poison control. That's why I think that the best decision is to act in a precautionary fashion. Never trust that corporations will care at all, about you, or your families health. Avoid the use of fluoride toothpaste. There are many negatives that have been discovered by researchers. Some of the most easily validated results are:
- Excess fluoride causes discolored and crumbling teeth
- Laboratory animal testing has shown that fluoride influences an increase in the absorption of aluminum in the brain. Aluminum is what is found in the brains of patients with Alzheimer’s.
- Fluoridation and hip fractures have been seen as related in as many as three different studies conducted by researchers.
- Excess fluoride has had detrimental effects on the musculoskeletal and nervous systems. This has lead to limited joint mobility, muscular degeneration, ligament calcification, and neurological deficits.
- Different studies have found a link between fluoride and about 10,000 cancer deaths per year, where men who were exposed to fluoride in the long term developed a greater likelihood of suffering from bone cancer.
Or you may be interested in trying A NO COST Introductory personalized training workout or diet consultation by phone, Skype or in person!
For the best Personal Fitness Training in Orange County, California: