Disinfecting public water with chlorine started back in the 19th century
Chlorine is a chemical that prevents bacteria from growing. It was the best way at the time to prevent dangerous outbreaks of water-borne diseases. The reason adding chlorine to water for disinfection today isn't because it's the safest or most effective way to disinfect water, it's the cheapest. It all started for America more than a century ago in 1904, in New Jersey. Where public drinking water was chlorinated for the first time.
Backed by the the government, chlorination was able to effectively decrease water born diseases such as typhoid, cholera and dysentery by killing the bacteria. While chlorine has been hailed as the savior against cholera and various other water-borne diseases and rightfully so, it's disinfectant qualities and economy of production have allowed communities and whole cities to grow and prosper by providing disease-free tap water to homes and industry. The people who have grown-up on tap water, believe the taste of chlorine signifies purity and safety, well, not necessarily so. Dr. Herbert Schwartz of Cumberland County College in Vineman, N.J. says, "Chlorine has so many dangers it should be banned. Putting chlorine in the water supply is like starting a time bomb. Cancer, heart trouble, premature senility, and physical impairments, are conditions attributable to chlorine treated water supplies. It's making us grow old before our time by producing other symptoms of aging like hardening of the arteries." Nowadays, chlorine is injected into drinking water by two ways. It is either injected directly by bubbling chlorine gas into the reservoir of drinking water or it is induced by adding calcium hypo chloride, "bleaching powder," to water. The chlorine in water is extremely reactive and quickly kills the bacteria and other living micro-organisms, thus disinfecting the drinking water.
Worse news is, that chlorine treatment does not absolutely ensure that by the time our drinking water comes out of our home faucet it is free of unhealthy microorganisms. Dangerous bacteria like e-coli and coliform are still found in chlorinated tap water on occasion. When this happens it's primarily due to problems related to the treatment system itself or to the transport of the water to our homes.
Now, what most people don't realize is that chlorine in drinking water is not the only problem. Taking a hot bath or shower even be more dangerous than drinking it, because more chlorine is absorbed directly through your skin, and inhaled in the steam from your shower, than is taken in from drinking 8 glasses of tap water. Not kidding, the heat and steam opens the pores allowing a high absorption of chlorine and other chemicals. Steam from a shower can contain 20 times the concentration of chlorine as tap water. Inhalation of chlorine vapors from hot showers are a suspected cause of bronchitis and asthma. A report in the American Journal of Public Health links chlorine to, increases of cancer, skin irritations and asthma as well. They said that "up to 2/3 of the harmful exposure to chlorine was due to skin absorption and inhalation of chlorine from shower water." The U.S. EPA recently wrote, "Due to chlorine, and showering, virtually every home in America also has a detectable level of chloroform gas in the air." Chloroform is strong respiratory irritant. Since the shower is warm or hot, our pores are wide open, and our skin easily absorbs toxic levels of the chemicals.
I know this seems hard to believe, but it's a FACT, none the less. Then there is the cosmetic effect of chlorine. Everyone has spent too much time in a high volume pool, like in Palm Springs, Las Vegas, or wherever you vacation. When you get out you find the chlorine in the pool strips the protective oils from our skin, leaves it white and flaky and our hair ends up like straw, your eyes burn and you see little stars. Or we've all sat in the hot tub too long got up to leave with a tiny headache and a little woozy. Well that's not all from the wine. It's more likely from the chlorine and chloroform gas in that fog hovering over the pool. Remember Chloroform is what they used to sedate soldiers during the civil war when they had to amputate limbs.
ALL THE FISH DIE! So then, why are you drinking, showering, washing your hands, and brushing your teeth in a chemical that kills another organism in a matter of minutes? While chlorine may still be important at the water treatment facility, because municipalities are too cheap to use a safer solution, for you and your families healths sake, it absolutely should be removed from your water once it enters your home. In your shower you can easily install a screw-on, filter shower head, also try a, Personal Water Bottle filtration system, or Counter Drip Pitcher, or in line sink filter system. Just click one of the "Nourish A Life" banners on either side of this article for more information on an economical solution. Chlorination of public water may have started over 100 years ago, but now, it's time to remove it from your diet. Good Luck...
This Is How Fast You Absorb Chlorine
Or you may be interested in trying A NO COST Introductory personalized training workout or diet consultation by phone, Skype or in person!
For the best Personal Fitness Training in Orange County, California: